Georgia is a captivating country of rugged natural beauty and ancient history. From the soaring Caucasus Mountains to the vibrant capital of Tbilisi, this crossroads nation entices visitors with its dramatic landscapes, historic churches and castles, unique cuisine, and wine offers travelers stunning scenery, engaging cities, and fascinating glimpses into the traditions, and welcoming culture.
As one of the emerging tourist destinations in the region, Georgia sits through its many attractions. With more tourists each year exploring its winding cobblestone streets, isolated mountain villages, and Black Sea beaches, it’s clear that Georgia’s charms are catching the world’s attention.
This article explores some of the top Georgia country tourist attractions that travelers should consider adding to their itinerary when visiting this fascinating country. From stunning natural sights to historic landmarks, Georgia offers something to delight all types of travelers.
What is the Most Visited Place in Georgia?
Drawing visitors from around the globe, Georgia’s storied capital of Tbilisi dazzles with its blend of historical charm and modern energy. Walking the winding streets reveals Persian, European, and Soviet architecture standing side-by-side, reflecting the city’s cosmopolitan history at the crossroads of empires. Also, ornately frescoed churches, earthy sulfur baths, and lively literary cafes beckon around every corner.
With its dramatic hillside setting along the Mtkvari River, everyday life in Tbilisi captivates with a feast for the senses, the smell of freshly baked khachapuri bread, the sound of friends chatting over glasses of amber wine, and the sights of balconied buildings interspersed with verdant parks. Tbilisi’s irresistible mix of old-world beauty and new-world excitement makes it easy to see why it is the most visited place in Georgia country.
With its diversity and energy, it’s no wonder Tbilisi receives the most tourists each year. However, there are many more incredible places to explore around Georgia.
What are the Top 10 Tourist Attractions in Tbilisi, Georgia?
From ancient fortresses to modern marvels, Georgia’s vibrant capital has plenty to captivate travelers. Tbilisi combines fascinating history and progressive attitudes into an irresistible city that visitors could spend weeks exploring. While it’s impossible to list all of Tbilisi’s sights in one go, here are some of the top attractions first-time visitors shouldn’t miss out on to capture the essence of this dynamic city:
- Narikala Fortress: Ancient 4th-century fortress with sweeping city views
- Mother Georgia Statue: Iconic statue symbolizing Georgian hospitality
- Mtatsminda Park: Huge theme park with rides and restaurants
- Tbilisi Botanical Garden: Lovely gardens home to over 3,000 plant species
- Tbilisi Old Town: Winding streets and architecture in the historic Old Town
- Georgian National Museum: Expansive museum showcasing Georgian art and culture
- Mtatimd Park and Funicular: Funicular ride up Mtatsminda for panoramas
- Freedom Square: Massive square surrounded by attractions like Rustaveli Theater
- Bridge of Peace: Contemporary bridge over the Kura River with a cool light show at night
- Sioni Cathedral: Emblematic Georgian Orthodox cathedral dating back to the 6th-7th century
This list provides a great starting point to experience some of the top sights and activities in Georgia’s dynamic capital. From historic landmarks to modern architecture to scenic overlooks, Tbilisi offers plenty for tourists to see and do.
Where are Unique Places to Visit in Georgia?
In addition to Tbilisi, some memorable and unique places to visit in Georgia country include:
Uplistsikhe Cave Town
Beginning in the Bronze Age and continuing into the Middle Ages, people lived in this amazing historic cave settlement. With tunnels, theaters, and homes carved into the rocky terrain, it offers a glimpse into the past and displays historic Georgian architecture.
This is an isolated monastery perched atop a 130-foot rock of natural limestone. Visitors can climb to the top for breathtaking cliff views and to see the still-functioning, live monastery.
Kakheti Wine Region
Georgia is famous for its wine culture going back thousands of years. The Kakheti region is covered in vineyards and wineries offering tours and tastings. Sighnaghi is a charming town to stay in while exploring the area.
Vardzia Cave Monastery
This sprawling 12th-century cave monastery was carved out of a rock face in over 600 rooms on 13 levels. Wander this underground maze of cells, churches, tunnels, and wine cellars.
Borjomi-Kharagauli National Park
Go hiking, camping, and wildlife spotting in this expansive protected area. Spot golden jackals, lynxes, bears, wolves, and more while exploring the diverse landscapes.
Considered the highest continuously inhabited settlement in Europe at 7,200 feet, this remote Svan village offers amazing views of Georgia’s Caucasus mountains and villages full of ancient Svan towers.
So, with cave cities, mountain monasteries, wild national parks, and ancient villages, Georgia does have some uniquely wonderful attractions to experience.
Where are the Most Beautiful Places in Georgia?
In addition to historical sites and cultural attractions, Georgia is simply brimming with natural beauty and breathtaking landscapes. Here are some of the most beautiful places in Georgia country that shouldn’t be missed:
A small town in the Caucasus Mountains, Kazbegi provides a gateway for hikers and adventurers. Nearby Mount Kazbek, Gergeti Trinity Church on a hilltop, and the turquoise Lake Jinisvali make this a stunningly scenic area.
Okatse Canyon and Kinchkha Waterfall
Located in northern Georgia, this area is great for nature walks through forested gorges to the breathtaking 330-foot Kinchkha Waterfall. Nearby is the Okatse Canyon with dramatic jagged cliffs.
This magnificent canyon has steep rock walls covered in lush greenery surrounding the Abasha River below. Boat rides along the river provide scenic views of the towering canyon cliffs.
The coastal city of Batumi has experienced a tourism boom recently thanks to its vibrant port, beaches, buzzing nightlife, and modern architecture. Stroll the palm-tree-lined promenade and relax by the Black Sea.
The remote northwest Svaneti region is home to villages like Ushguli along with Mount Ushba, one of the tallest peaks in Georgia. With glaciers, mountain lakes, and snowy peaks, this is a picturesque area to explore.
From waterfalls to canyons to seasides, Georgia truly has some of the most beautiful and visually stunning places to enjoy natural scenery at its finest.
What are the Things to Do in Georgia Country?
In addition to seeing top attractions and beautiful destinations, Georgia also offers several fun activities for travelers to experience:
- Sample Georgian Cuisine: Feast on khachapuri cheese bread, khinkali dumplings, Khali, lobio beans, and other tasty dishes. Georgia’s culinary traditions are a highlight!
- Go Wine Tasting: As mentioned previously, Georgian wines are some of the world’s oldest and most unique. Do some tastings at wineries in Kakheti or elsewhere.
- Relax at a Sulfur Bathhouse: Tbilisi is famous for its natural hot sulfur bathhouses that have been operated for centuries. Take a relaxing soak!
- See Folk Dances: Georgian folk dance is known for its energetic, acrobatic moves set to traditional music. See locals perform.
- Listen to Georgian Polyphonic Singing: UNESCO recognized this haunting choral style sung in three parts by Georgian vocalists.
- Hike in the Caucasus: Trek through remote mountain villages and dramatic landscapes in places like Kazbegi and Svaneti. The hiking is world-class.
- Go Skiing: Georgia has several mountain resorts like Gudauri, perfect for downhill and cross-country skiing.
- Shop at Markets: Wander lively local markets like Tbilisi’s Deserter’s Bazaar to shop for handicrafts, antiques, produce, and more.
- Learn About History: Dig deeper into Georgia’s ancient and Soviet history by visiting sites like Vardzia Cave Monastery.
Whether you love food, wine, music, hiking, or sightseeing, Georgia has an exciting variety of cultural and nature activities to enjoy during your visit. With its diversity of attractions and landscapes, a trip to Georgia promises beautiful sights, new experiences, and wonderful memories to last a lifetime.
Georgia entices visitors with its array of one-of-a-kind attractions. While the energetic capital of Tbilisi provides an ideal starting point, venturing further afield opens doors to even more scenic and cultural wonders across the country. Visitors can tour medieval cave cities, sample wines in rural villages, hike through pristine national parks and explore quintessential seaside resorts, all while experiencing Georgia’s storied hospitality.
Whether you have a week or a month for exploring, a trip to Georgia country tourist attractions promises beautiful sights, unique experiences, and lasting memories. Let Georgia’s magic and mystery draw you into its rich history and culture. With so many spectacular places to explore, Georgia deserves to be on every world traveler’s bucket list.